Why even buy a ticket?

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Last night I went to probably one of the best concerts I have seen or will ever see. Mr. Eddie Vedder put on an intimate show at the Ryman Auditorium which made me an even bigger fan. I've actually never seen a bad show at the Ryman. What I love most about it is that artists seem to be truly in awe of playing there. Their appreciation for being on that stage seems to flow through the entire show, and last night was no exception.

Playing some of his solo songs from various soundtracks as well as some of the older Pearl Jam songs, Eddie belted out songs that could make a grown woman cry...not me, but I know someone who did. His voice just rang through that auditorium, and I really think if he were to ever just whisper in my ear, my knees would go weak and I'd probably lose control right there. He has that kind of voice - deep and gravelly and just plain sexy.

I'm not writing this post just to applaud the singing prowess of that sexy man though - even though it deserves a standing ovation. One thing I noticed during this show and really many shows I've been to in the past couple years is the number of hunched, head down spectators that dot the audience. When someone is performing on stage, wouldn't it be best to actually watch them? Now I will check my phone and maybe in text message a friend between acts, but when those lights go down and the spotlight hits the stage, the phone goes in the pocket. I can understand if you are that important that you need to stay in touch at all times say to get your next mission, but really concert tickets are not cheap, an artist is pouring his heart out on stage and you, my friend, are missing it. And really I don't mind that you are completely disregarding a rock legend, but the glow from your phone is starting to distract me. I can't help but see it out of the corner of my eye. So please shut the phone off, put it in your pocket and enjoy the show. Because no matter how annoying you are, I will not let you get in the way between me and Mr. Vedder.

0 comments:

Post a Comment