At the parents' house
Saturday, May 16, 2009
Last night I stayed over at my parents' house to dog-sit their golden retriever, Ginger. I didn't get over here until late, but I swear that everytime I come over here I feel good.
First off, my mom is a whiz with all things green. This is a trait I did not inherit. Everything around their house is blooming and lush and green. My dad has a knack for building things and stacking rocks. There are rock walls all over the place which also make the house look like it has been here forever - like it belongs here. Well, I hope it would since they built this house almost 25 years ago.
Wow, 25 years...I remember when they were building the house. We had to live in a rented trailer that they had put on the land. That was an adventure. My sister and I had to share a room and actually a bed, and my parents slept out on the fold-out couch. After getting up they would fold the bed back in and straighten up the pillows. Thank goodness we lived like that for less than a year, and I was only in first grade. So it really wasn't a big deal. I do remember that Christmas was pretty funny. All of the Christmas decorations were boxed up and in storage, so my parents set up one of those two-foot little trees, and my sister and I made stockings out of brown paper bags. We made it work. 

It was nice when we were finally able to move into this house though. Lots more room, and I didn't have to share a room with my sister anymore. I'm sure she appreciated it since she didn't have her annoying little sister bothering her as much. She was in middle school and way too cool to play Barbies with me anymore.
Some things in the house have changed since then. It's been added on to, and new furniture has been added. But one thing I love is that my mom doesn't take pictures down, she just adds to them. So if anyone ever comes over, they can pretty much see our lives on the walls and shelves. Our adventures are out for display. I definitely inherited that. I love to take pictures, even though I don't post too many on here. I also love to display pictures in my house. This is something the hubby had to get used to. He didn't grow up surrounded by photographs or even taking photographs. He's getting used to it, even though everytime I pull out the camer he gives me a look - the "don't even thinkg about taking my picture" look. I still sneak one in every now and then.

0 comments:
Post a Comment